Saturday, October 22, 2011

Day 22: What I <3 about Zombies


So, in case it has not already been made painfully obvious, I LOVE zombies. And it's not just during this time of year, when zombies are so popular with the world; I love zombies all the time. But why?
There are a number of different reasons why I love zombies.

Firstly, they satisfy my darker side and my love of blood and gore, without being a senseless type of violence- which I don't really enjoy. They make me laugh when I feel stupid and offer mental stimulation when I'm feeling less than inspired.

Zombies come in all the forms of artistic expression that I enjoy- books, movies, and animation- and I can find a zombie no matter what form I'm in the mood for.

The idea behind zombies themselves speaks to both halves of my nature- the creative side that enjoys the idea of wild magic and the more serious side that enjoys all the possibilities that science has to offer.

I enjoy zombies because unlike other popular monsters, creators have given them a very real theoretical plausibility. Unlike most of the others, zombies are a monster that we (as humanity) COULD really create for ourselves. And that is part of their horror.

And of course there is their horror that draws me in. They are something that I DO find scary. Not usually in their everyday incarnations- jumping out at people at well-timed moments or coming en masse to the local school yard- but the idea of them I find terrifying.



Zombies are a good time and after devoting an entire month to them, I have come to realize more fully that they are, in fact, my geek.

So speak up, why do you love zombies?

No comments:

Post a Comment